Flint Regional Science and Engineering Fair Security Policy
- The top priority for the Flint Regional Science and Engineering Fair (FRSEF) is student safety. All efforts are made to ensure that students will be attending Fair-sponsored events in a safe environment free from hazards in the real world as well as in the cyberworld.
- All Flint Regional Science and Engineering Fair board members and volunteers eighteen (18) years of age or older are required to submit to a Background Check conducted by Sterling Volunteers.
- Volunteers include: judges, chaperones, monitors, guides, awards and gifts distributors, set-up and tear-down personnel, and anyone else who may have direct contact with student participants. Exception: high school student volunteers who are eighteen (18) years of age, but not older.
- Failure to complete a background check will preclude participation in the Flint Regional Science and Engineering Fair or any other Fair-sponsored activity (e.g., after-school programs, weekend workshops, participation in overnight trips such as for the international fair (ISEF) or Broadcom MASTERS, “office hours” Q&A sessions, etc.).
- A completed and approved background check for those requiring one must be filed with the Flint Science and Engineering Fair Board before participation in any Fair-sponsored event. This is without exception.
- This includes both in-person and virtual fairs and activities.
- Background Check Criteria - The following types of convictions will render an individual ineligible to work or volunteer at a Flint Regional Science and Engineering Fair or any other Fair-sponsored event:
- Drug distribution activity or felony drug possession
- Sexual offenses
- Crimes of violence involving physical injury to another person
- Child abuse, molestation or other crimes involving child endangerment
- Any other felony or crime involving moral turpitude
- Crimes involving theft and dishonesty also, such as fraud, breaking and entering, home invasion.
- Any issues of inappropriate behavior or safety concerns are to be discussed with the Flint Regional Science Fair Director or another board member. All concerns will be investigated and, if required, referred to appropriate law enforcement.
- A link to begin the process for the online background check is included in the FRSEF Board of Directors membership vetting, and as part of the online judge and/or volunteer registration process. Registration will not be approved until this background check has been completed.