Rules, Procedures & Forms
The ISEF Rulebook
- Elementary: May not exceed 30” deep x 36” wide x 108” high; no electricity allowed
- Junior: May not exceed 30” deep x 36” wide x 108” high; no electricity allowed
- Senior: May not exceed 30” deep x 48” wide x 108” high; electricity available upon request
Student Bio and Media Release
Please review and fill out the Student Bio & Media Release Form (linked below). It requests biographical information for press releases and gives consent to use students’ photos in press releases and promotional materials for The Fair. When completed, this form should be printed and signed by a parent. It can then be scanned (or digital photo) and uploaded to the student’s account.
Display & Safety Checklist
The Flint Regional Science & Engineering Fair utilizes the International Science & Engineering Fair Display & Safety Regulations, for full regulations see the International Rules and Guidelines.
- Senior: 48” width, 30” depth, 108” height from floor
- Junior / Elem: 36” width, 30” depth, 108” height from floor
- No standing projects, 36” table height
- Junior / Elem: No AC power will be provided.
- Electrical devices must be protectively enclosed.
- Energized wiring, switches and metal parts must have adequate insulation and over-current safety devices (e.g., fuse).
- An accessible, clearly visible on/off switch or quick means of disconnecting power
Forms / Images / Credits
- List photo and image credits
- Photo release for images of finalist and others
- No acknowledgements, self-promotions or endorsements
- No commercial logos
- Form 1c (only for projects at a Regulated Research Institution)
Items / Materials Not Allowed
- Living organisms, including plants
- Glass or glass containers
- Soil, sand, rock, cement or waste samples
- Preserved vertebrate or invertebrate animals
- Food or liquids (including water)
- Plant materials
- Human / animal parts or body fluids
- Hazardous substances or devices (poisons, drugs, weapons, dry ice)
- Items that may be contaminated with hazardous chemicals
- Sharp items (syringes, needles, pipettes, knives)
- Flames or highly flammable materials
- Batteries with open-top or wet cells
- 3D Printers
- Any apparatus with belts, pulleys, chains or moving parts without appropriate shielding around pinch points
- Any item deemed distracting (sounds, lights, odors, etc.)
Items are not be stored underneath the project
FRSEF PROJECT GRANTS
FRSEF Project Grants are available to Junior and Senior division participants.
All students are encouraged to apply. Grants in values of up to $200 for Juniors and up to $400 for Senior may be awarded to provide resources for students to enable excellence in their research. Download an application.
The interactive Project Guide will automatically provide each required form based on the student’s Division and project criteria. Additionally, every form a student may need is available below. Each can be downloaded, printed, and then filled in; or can be opened here and filled in online. Parent/adult signatures may still be required before sending, so printing off and signing will be required. Forms can then be scanned (or digital photo) and uploaded to the student’s account.